HOME
GALLERIES
WAYPOINTS LIST
MyPHWaypoints new
Links
Contribute
Contributors
 
Resorts Listing
POIs by Province
FREE Travel Brochures!
 

 

 
VISITS
791832
Copyright 2001-2016 waypoints.ph

 

Dumanjug Church
Province:  Cebu
10° 03.475N   123° 26.077E
Listed in Gallery:   Old Church

Like this destination?

waypoint data    map and vicinity info    route(s) to this waypoint
view other POIs of Cebu Province

Click on any of the images to see the enlarged copy and narratives of the photo.

Dumanjug church is probably the most handsome of the 19th century churches in western Cebu. Made of finely cut coral, its hews closer to the neoclassical idiom for the sedate and chaste simplicity of its decorative elements. The bell tower to one side of the church has a dodecagonal plan, usual for colonial churches. Although made of three stories the floors are unusually high; this is a general characteristic of the church. The engaged pilasters only add to the general sense of height. The facade's lofty elevation is broken only by double pediment.

Established as a parish on 28 March 1854, Dumanjug had as patron Saint Francis of Assisi. It was formerly a visita of Barili. Redondo (1886, 163) describes the Borbon church made of rubble and of new construction, measuring 40.5 fathoms long, 8 fathoms and two palmos wide and 7 fathoms and one palmo tall. The church was cruciform, roofed with tile and bell tower under construction.

As written on the Historical Marker:
This old structure was completed in 1864, as engraved at the main entrance. Its construction started in circa 1854, when the Dumanjug Mission Post was elevated into a parish.

The work was commissioned by the Spanish Bishop Romualdo Jimeno, O. P. and was undertaken by the pioneerring Pilipino Secular Priest, Rev. Fr. Matias Cabrera and Doroteo Godinez, with the freelabor support of the early natives.

The basic materials used are sea corals stone, limestone and Balayong (native black wood) which were abundant in the area then.

It is interesting to note that this is one of the few old church structures in Cebu and probably in the whole Philippines, which was designed, executed, supervised and completed by Filipinos themselves.

The year 2004 marks the 150th Founding Anniversary of the parish with St. Francis of Assisi as the titular.

Centennial Historical Committee

Waypoint narrative by: paulperez 2006     follow paulperez on Facebook